What is a Callus ?
- Also known as a tyloma or hyperkeratosis, a callus is an area of thickened, or hard skin that forms due to repeated friction and pressure in a certain region of the foot
- This repeated pressure may be due to improper fitting footwear or misaligned bone structures , resulting in excessive force
- As your skin senses this excess pressure, it thickens protect itself. However, this protective mechanism may start to impinge on nerves deep to the skin resulting in pain
- Successful management requires removal of the cause followed by treatment aimed at helping to reduce pain
- If there is a biomechanical etiology, this needs assessing and managing with custom foot orthotics and exercises
- If poor fitting shoes are the cause, then suitable footwear advice is provided to help reduce pressure points and future recurrence
What are the benefits of going to see a foot specialist?
There are several benefits to paying a visit to a chiropodist, also known as a foot specialist. Pain relief tends to be the biggest benefit for those suffering from issues such as heel spurs and plantar fasciitis. Chiropodists can also prescribe your custom orthotics that will help manage foot deformities, such as bunions. Custom orthotics can also improve posture and help patients hold their chiropractic adjustments longer. There are other symptoms like nail fungus, ingrown nails and many others. A licensed and knowledgeable chiropodist can help you get relief from several aches and pain. When it comes to your foot health and associated foot care, trust your feet in the hands of a friendly professional.
To summarize some of the benefits:
- Relieve Your Pain
- Improve foot deformities
- Improved posture
- and many more....