What are Bunions ?
- Also known as hallux-abductovalgus, a bunion is a bone deformity caused by the movement of the joint at the base of the big toe joint, resulting in widening of the foot.
- May result in pain due to friction of the bony prominence against footwear, resulting in joint tenderness and redness
- Left untreated, may result in bursitis or degenerative changes, leading to arthritis of the big toe joint (metatarsophalangeal joint), causing pain with day to day activities
- Bunions have a strong familial predisposition
- Commonly arises due to biomechanical imbalances that predisposes an individual to excessive foot pronation
- Treatment may include reduction of pressure by use of protective padding, exercises to help maintain joint mobility, splints for night time wear and use of custom foot orthotics to help stabilize the joint and correctly align the foot
- In some cases, management may require surgical intervention (bunionectomy) to help remove the boney protruberance and realign the big toe joint
What are the benefits of going to see a foot specialist?
There are several benefits to paying a visit to a chiropodist, also known as a foot specialist. Pain relief tends to be the biggest benefit for those suffering from issues such as heel spurs and plantar fasciitis. Chiropodists can also prescribe your custom orthotics that will help manage foot deformities, such as bunions. Custom orthotics can also improve posture and help patients hold their chiropractic adjustments longer. There are other symptoms like nail fungus, ingrown nails and many others. A licensed and knowledgeable chiropodist can help you get relief from several aches and pain. When it comes to your foot health and associated foot care, trust your feet in the hands of a friendly professional.
To summarize some of the benefits:
Relieve Your Pain
Improve foot deformities
and many more....